Sunday, August 2, 2009

Worship Pounding

Looky there! We have 5 followers now! Of course, I'm sure that number will vastly increase when Erin tells her friends and family about the blog :). BTW - if you want to read about any 'specific' things from us, just post a comment here or on Facebook :). I'm more than happy to take requests!

Well, today was the first time that Erin and I got to meet the entire congregation (or at least, those who decided to come to church on a dreary, wet Sunday). We attended both services (8AM and 10:45AM) and I was inducted at both services. The church even put together a lovely brunch between the services that was exceptionally good! It looks like our free gym memberships at our apartment complex will come in very handy this year!

So far, I really enjoy the worship experience after one Sunday. It is a very small nave (where you actually sit in the congregation, it is not a sanctuary like it is normally called ;)) and it has a small sanctuary (the raised area in the nave that houses the altar and pulpit) with a modest (but very nice) pulpit and altar. So far, my favorite aspect of the church is the 10 foot long x 5 foot high window that is behind the altar. It is framed (on the outside) by some very nice reddish/pink flowers and looks out into a field with a row of trees that separates All Saints' property from the Episcopal church's property next door.

Anyways, I caught myself (especially during the second service, sorry Pastor Keith :)) just watching the rain fall, ease into a drizzle, and turn into glorious sunshine. It is a really wonderful experience to worship in such a small, intimate setting and to be reminded of God's glorious creation all at the same time. So far, that is my favorite part of the church building and worship space.

I was asked to help distribute communion at both services today and I always enjoy that. What an amazing feeling to say "This is the body of Christ, given for you! This is the blood of Christ, shed for you!" It is also interesting to see how others react when they receive it. Some don't look at you, some lock into your eyes, some tear up, some appear to be nervous, and some are the kids who just smile plop their whole wafer (including their hand) into the chalice and giggle as they chow down :).

Worshiping today was wonderful and I hope the other 51 or so Sundays are just as special.

I really enjoyed Pastor Keith's sermon today which compared today's Gospel reading (John 6:24-35 where Jesus proclaims himself as the Bread of Life) to eating snack foods and keeping a healthy diet. Miracles (though wonderful and good) are like snack foods. They taste good, but you are not filled by them and you always want more...however, Jesus gives us himself (through his death and resurrection and at Eucharist each Sunday). He gives us his entire self and we are filled. It was a nice image, and it wasn't something I had thought about before, but it makes sense.



After the worship services, Erin and I were 'pounded.' No, they didn't initiate us by beating the crud out of us! Instead, they opened their hearts and gave us food. Lots of food. What we found particularly funny is that for some reason, we were given quite a bit of Italian food items... We received 10 boxes of pasta (angel hair, linguine, fettuccine), 6 bottles of pasta sauce, 2 cans of tomato sauce/paste, and a box meal of lasagna. Of course, with a last name like 'Titus' I suppose we can't really blame them and I'm NOT complaining at all. I love to eat Italian food :).

Now, it is time for another day of rest...I start moving stuff into my office at church tomorrow, Erin has her second interview with the Randolph School (touted as the most prestigious private school in Alabama - I'll let her tell y'all more about that when she finally posts something on this blog :)).

Who knows what this year will bring, but as I declared in the induction today during worship.

"I am ready. God help me with His Grace."

No comments:

Post a Comment