Wednesday, August 19, 2009

So proud!

Today is a special and historic day for the Lutheran Church.  At the Church Wide Assembly in Minneapolis, MN the voting assembly voted to adopt the proposed Social Statement on Human Sexuality. 

What does this mean?  Well, essentially the ELCA now states that sexuality is a gift from God.  Being that our sexuality comes from God, it does not matter if you are heterosexual or homosexual – GOD LOVES YOU!  No matter what your sexual orientation, God created you and God DOES NOT make mistakes.  We are all children of God.  God loves us, Christ died for us, the Holy Spirit guides us!

What does this mean for the future of the church?  One – I think this firmly states that the ELCA promotes an inviting and loving church to all races, creeds, and people.  Nothing separates us from the love of God and with this Social Statement, the ELCA believes it.

Will there be people upset with this decision?  Yes, there will be.  Is this something to drive a wedge into the church?  I sure hope not.

The adoption of this Social Statement on Human Sexuality is the first step, on Friday is the much larger hurdle to cross.  On Friday the church votes whether to allow homosexual men and women, who feel the call to ordained ministry or church leadership roles, to pursue those calls even if they are in a committed, monogamous relationship with someone of the same sex.

Needless to say, I am proud.  I feel the Holy Spirit has guided her church and that we, the church have faithfully followed.

Lord, I ask that you continue to knock on the doors of our hearts, open our closed minds to your will, continually guide us as we walk in your light.  Paul writes that in Romans that nothing separates us from the love of God.  Today, the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America just said “YES!”

4 comments:

  1. The Holy Spirit is blowing a strong wind in Minnesota. Praise be to God! (By the way - I'd like to make an ammendment to your blog to be called a Tale of two Tituses) Love you both and hope to see you at Synod events.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like that Karisa ;) a tale of two tituses :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Woohoo - my ammendment passed! Did it pass by a supermajority or a simple majority??

    ReplyDelete
  4. Since I made the decision, just a simple majority ;) But, I'm sure if all delegates were present, it would've passed with a supermajority :)

    ReplyDelete