Thursday, August 13, 2009

This is the body of Christ….

Being that the Gospel readings for these past few weeks (4 counting this coming Sunday…) come from John 6 where Jesus seems to constantly refer to himself as ‘the Bread of Life’ I thought it would be appropriate to contact my field church supervisor at Ebenezer Lutheran Church and ask for their communion bread recipe to be used at All Saints.

If you’ve never been to Ebenezer, they have a wonderful ministry where they make their own communion bread. They received this recipe from Pastor Asano in the Japanese Lutheran Church a few years ago. Now, I know all bread is the Body of Christ, but I have to say… this Jesus tastes good! So, because I’ve given the recipe to All Saints and I ‘practiced’ making it at home (it came out well! Just maybe not flat enough :)) I’ve decided to post the recipe here on the blog…. So, here goes…

Ingredients:

3 cups of flour
1/4 cup sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 cup oil (Ebenezer uses Canola, I used ‘regular’ vegetable oil)
2 tablespoons honey
1 cup of HOT water

Directions:

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Have the oven rack in the center of the oven

In a large bowl, mix the flour, sugar, baking soda, baking powder, and cinnamon. Sift together gently with a kitchen fork.

In a large cup (or smaller bowl) combine the honey, oil, and water.

Pour the liquid mixture over the flour mixture and stir together with a spoon.

Turn the dough out on a lightly floured board. Knead until smooth.

Divide into six equal balls. Roll out each ball into a thin circle. Put circle on a baking pan (I’m assuming giving each circle its own pan…) and score in half with a sharp knife [if desired, add a second scoring to form a cross

Bake each pan for exactly 10 minutes. Remove from pan, cool, and brush off any excess flour

This recipe makes six loaves. At Ebenezer, they add 1/2 recipe more to make 9 loaves.

Thanks so much to Pastor Asano, Pastor Paul Pingel, and JoAnn Swanson for sharing this recipe!!!

-Intern/Vicar Matt :)

No comments:

Post a Comment