As many of you know, I love movies and television. As I write this I cannot help and ponder on what this new season of television will bring us. Will Penny and Leonard of The Big Bang Theory finally come together? How will Dr. House in House, cope with being in a drug treatment facility? Will the ‘doctors’ of Grey’s Anatomy actually do anything medical on the show? And most importantly, will Jack save everyone on the island in Lost?
You see, I cannot help it. I tend (at times) to think about the things that do not matter a bit more than the things that do. Today is the International Day of Prayer for Peace. On this day the ELCA Lutheran center begins a weeklong observance of this annual World Council of Churches (WCC) event. This event was formed in 2004 to coincide with the United Nations’ initiative that encourages ‘global 24-hour spiritual observation for peace.’ Praying for peace is, obviously, something that is far more important than wondering how Michael Scott in The Office will (hilariously) offend another co-worker, but it is not something we actively think about during our lives. I invite all of you to pray for peace for all those who suffer in God’s creation. Pray for love, understanding, and the glory of Christ to enter into those who are oppressed and those who are their oppressors. As Paul wrote in Colossians, ‘Above, all clothe yourselves with love, which binds everything together in perfect harmony. And let the peace of Christ rule in your hearts, to which indeed you were called in the one body. And be thankful.’ (Colossians 3:14-15)
As we go about our days during this (and enjoying our television programs of course), let us be thankful for the blessings God has given each of us and let us remember that others in our world are in need of the love of Christ. Let us spread that Good News to all, in any way that we can. Let us pray for our brothers and sisters around the world who suffer. Let us pray for leaders to let God work through their hands to bring to end the violence and suffering that is appears so prevalent in the world. Let us pray in thanksgiving for the blessing of salvation that has been given to us in the life, death, and resurrection of Jesus Christ and spread the Gospel to all. Amen!
I know the thing with Penny and Leonard is really on my top anything list......
ReplyDeleteLove Mom
PS.. sorry about your Cowboys
What'd you name the cat!?!?!?! People need to know!!!!!
ReplyDeleteJason