Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Becca’s trip to Huntsville

My best friend Rebecca recently came to Huntsville for a long weekend, and we had a blast hanging out and goofing off. :) I hadn’t seen her since Christmas, so it was really nice to spend some quality time together.

When she arrived on Thursday, Matt and I took her on a mini-tour of Huntsville. We showed her the church where Matt is working, the school where I taught this past year, and some other “landmark” sights, including the oldest store in Alabama (Harrison Brothers) and the “egg-beater Jesus” church. (If you haven’t heard us talk about that, it’s a beautiful church in downtown HSV that has a tile mural of Jesus and his feet look like egg beaters).

4718741121_3ef0b03eb0_b 4718741229_0b78458126_b

On Friday, Rebecca and I went to the US Space and Rocket Center.  The museum folks were setting up for the big Star Wars exhibit that just opened, so half of the museum was not even open. In the other building (where they keep a life-size model of the Saturn V rocket), they were having Space Camp graduation. It was a bit packed and a bit noisy, but we still enjoyed seeing the exhibits and reading about the space program.

4718742897_254815c30e_b 4718743503_8ddb2f7f75_b 4719393484_96b1ce6601_b 4719394156_e672ea9c32_b 4719394980_3c834314e7_b

After we finished touring the museums, Matt met us for lunch and then we went to meet our friend from church, Tim Vaughn, at the entrance to the Redstone Arsenal. He gave us a personal tour of the areas where he works. We were able to see models and parts of the Saturn V rockets. Cool stuff!

4718747087_6c8231733e_b 4718748987_a4254f6032_b

After dinner, we spent some time relaxing down by the pool.

4718751661_5c588bebbe_b 4719399806_5ea0e2f1fc_b

On Saturday, we had a church car wash that was quite successful until we had a big thunderstorm come through the city.  We went to a birthday/pool party that night for our friend Mike from church.

4718752053_85f611d965_b

On Sunday, I drove Becca to see the Tennessee River at the Ditto Landing. We had fun watching all the baby birds and ducks. After church, it was time for her to head back to the airport. Thanks for coming to visit, Becks!! I had a wonderful time!!!

4719401028_9393f38402_b 4719401150_107aa92294_b

(Thanks to Becca for all of the above pictures- the pictures we took are on our other computer, and yes, I’m too lazy to transfer them to this computer.)

That same Sunday, Matt and the youth and youth leaders left for a week-long mission trip to Tampa Bay, FL. They had to be at the church at 4:30am, so I got up and drove him there (and later came back home and slept a bit more!).  I was “home alone” all week. Thank goodness for Arden and Hobbes- they kept me from getting too lonely. My days actually filled up pretty quickly thanks to friends from school and church.  On Monday, I took a friend to get a root canal (yuck!); on Tuesday I had a doctor’s appointment (baby girl is still growing just like she should!); on Wednesday, I went swimming at a friend’s house and later had dinner at the country club with some lovely folks from church; on Thursday, I read some of a book to a member from church who has ALS; and on Friday, I had breakfast with Ellen and Heather, and then Heather and I went to Nashville for the day. Fun times! Saturday was spent cleaning the house (which I hadn’t done all week!) and just preparing for Matt to get home.

This past Thursday was our 4th wedding anniversary. It seems like our wedding was just yesterday! We didn’t get to celebrate  on our actual anniversary since Matt was in Tampa and I was in Huntsville, but we are leaving today to spend a week in California!!!  So excited!

100_4635

-Erin :)

1 comment:

  1. Oh, I get it. We leave California, you decide to hop on a plane and go visit California. We come to Colorado, you... have a baby instead of coming to Colorado?

    Silly Tituses!

    ReplyDelete