All year (heck, for the past 3 years really) I have been telling anyone who would listen that my favorite baseball team, the Texas Rangers, would make it to the playoffs. That they were better than people realized. That they’d surprise the heck out of everyone.
For two years they fell short of my predictions, last year they came excruciatingly close to where they are now.
Last night, I felt like a little kid again. I listened to the Rangers game and the sweet sound of Eric Nadel and his co-broadcaster Dave Barnett call the clinching game of the Texas Rangers against the Oakland A’s. It. Was. Awesome.
Rangers 4, A’s 3. So many things happened in the game that you couldn’t predict it. Jorge Cantu, who in over 80 at bats had ZERO RBI for the Rangers. What does he do? Puts the Rangers ahead. Twice. His 2 RBI are the biggest all season. A Mets throwaway (Jeff Francour – Who Erin think is pretty darn cute…) has contributed heavily to this team and has played better than he has since he was on the Atlanta Braves just a few short years ago (when everyone thought that he would become one of the best players the game has ever seen).
Speaking of those Braves. Thank you. Without the Texeira trade 4 years ago the Rangers wouldn’t have…. Matt Harrison, Elvis Andrus, or Neftali Feliz. Feliz set a MLB record by saving his 38th game this season…as a rookie.
Many of you know that I’m a huge Rangers fan. Last night was one of my happiest being a Rangers fan than I could ever imagine. Yes, the Rangers had been in the playoffs 11, 12, and 14 years ago. But, I was 16, 15, and 13 and I didn’t follow them nearly as closely as I do now.
The Texas Rangers, 2010 AL West Champions. It feels good to say, and it has been far too long since it has been said. Who knows how far they can go in the playoffs. But, if you know me, you know what I think .
It has been a good week. Ashleigh was born last Saturday (9/18) and the Rangers clinch the division the following Saturday (9/25). Welcoming that little 6lb bundle of life into the world was pretty darn awesome and I couldn’t imagine anything being more special or even equal to that day. For me, last night was pretty darn close, because I was holding her while listening to the final out. Popout to short left field and caught by Elvis Andrus.
I’m hoping for more moments like those. The Rangers playing well, sharing that moment with my child(ren) just as my dad did with me and my brother and sister.
So, I guess what I’m trying to say is…. Thanks Dad…
Love it.....You are one lucky PaPa.....Erin at least has Ashleigh to keep her sane......
ReplyDeleteGreat post, Matthew!
ReplyDelete