Saturday, March 20, 2010

Nashville trip

While my mom was visiting over Spring Break, she and I took a short trip to Nashville, which is about an hour and a half north of Huntsville. We arrived shortly before 5:00 on Sunday afternoon, and we went straight to our hotel to get unpacked and settled. Our hotel was on 4th Street (the big “downtown area” is considered to be between 2nd and 4th Streets, so we were really in the middle of downtown Nashville).

DSC03594

The Hilton, our hotel

DSC03569

DSC03570

DSC03598

The lobby area

DSC03599

Mom in one of the gigantic “chairs”

DSC03600

The view looking down from the 9th floor

DSC03602

Half of the lobby, looking down from the 9th floor

We were pretty hungry, so we ventured along the streets to find a place to eat. Well, the Hard Rock Cafe was right on the corner and since I had never eaten at a Hard Rock Cafe before (hard to believe, considering I must have 5 or so Hard Rock tshirts!), we decided to eat there. We both had hamburgers and Mom got a hurricane which she refused to share with me (kidding- I know I can’t drink alcohol!) She did allow me to eat the pineapple and cherry that were on the toothpick sticking out of the drink. What a consolation prize… :) She did let me keep the hurricane glass since she would’ve had trouble sneaking that back on the plane.

DSC03574

DSC03571

DSC03572

It was a bit chilly and rainy that night, so after we ate dinner, we headed back to the warmth of our hotel. We sat around and watched some tv and read, and then we ventured back out a couple hours later to get some delicious ice cream from this cute place.

DSC03582

A new employee was being trained by the owner and as he was dipping our ice cream, the boss was making sure he was being precise with his scoops. When it came time for him to scoop mine, I told him it was okay if he “accidentally” scooped too much because I was eating for two! I think it worked- I definitely have more ice cream in my cup than Mom! (P.S. I’m not exploiting my baby- just using it to my advantage!)

The next morning it was still cold and a bit drizzly, but we bundled up and walked around a bit to see what was right around our hotel. We realized we were right next door to the arena where the SEC basketball championships had been going on the day before.

DSC03589

DSC03590

On the other side of our hotel was the Country Music Hall of Fame.

DSC03593

On the next block was the Symphony Hall.

DSC03575

Of course, we also saw Elvis wandering the streets…

DSC03586

DSC03587

We saw the Tennessee Titans stadium.

DSC03578

DSC03579

We drove around to visit the Vanderbilt campus, and we also stopped to see the Parthenon. It’s a full-size replica of the Parthenon from ancient Greece. Pretty impressive!

DSC03604

DSC03605

Then we went shopping for the rest of the day!

-Erin

2 comments:

  1. Looks like y'all had fun! :) Send me those dates so I can start planning my trip. Can't wait to visit you! Love ya!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've posed with that Elvis! Glad you got to enjoy the city!

    Shalom,
    Rachel

    ReplyDelete