Sunday, December 6, 2009

Grandma

My dear grandmother passed away on Wednesday, November 18. She had been diagnosed with an aggressive form of leukemia the week after Matt and I moved to Huntsville. She was in the hospital for 8 weeks, and after several rounds of chemo, she was released from the hospital. I was home for fall break at that time, so I got to see my grandmother at her “healthiest” point during her illness. She stayed home for about 3 weeks, and then she began having severe pains. After several doctor visits, the docs decided to re-admit her to the hospital. From that point on, she was on so many medications that did terrible things to her mind and body. She wasn’t acting like my loving and sweet grandmother. Of course, I did not get to see her in this condition (and I’m actually very thankful for that). The decision was made to move her to hospice care. The wonderful people there made sure she was comfortable and at peace. My mom and a friend were there with her when she passed away. They were reading Psalm 23 out loud to her as God carried her away to heaven. I’m so grateful for the life of my grandmother. As one of 13 siblings, she learned early on how to be creative and frugal with the things she owned. I always enjoyed hearing the stories about the crazy times she shared with her brothers and sisters. She was a wonderful Christian, and she loved the Lord with all her heart. She was the most unselfish person I have ever met. Words cannot even describe how much I miss her!!

Matt and I drove to Columbia on Thursday, the day after she died. Her visitation was on Saturday and the funeral was on Sunday. Because her death occurred so close to the Thanksgiving holidays, Matt and I were both given permission from our bosses to stay home for the holidays. We enjoyed spending that time with family and friends and celebrating the life of an amazing woman. We were able to stay at my parents’ new house and celebrate their first Thanksgiving at a new place. We were also able to take part in the Corley family tradition- going to Bojangles on Friday morning to eat breakfast, and then heading out to the Christmas tree farm to pick out trees for our houses. We then began the 7 hour drive back to Huntsville.

I’m so thankful I had a chance to know my grandmother. I know she is having a grand time in heaven.  :)

Image (2)

Margaret Fincher Corley (1924-2009)

 

-Erin

3 comments:

  1. I'm sorry for your loss, Erin. You, Matt, Brian, and everyone else in the family are in our prayers during this time of grieving Grandma Margaret's passing. This post is a beautiful gift you offer to her, and it makes me wish I had the chance to know her. Thank you for the tribute to her.
    ~Kris

    ReplyDelete
  2. Erin what a wonderful tribute to your Grandmother. I agree with you I am sure she IS having a GRAND time in heaven.......Hospice does wonderful things for families and those stricken with terrible illnesses. How they find the strength to ease the passing and improve the qualith the families last memorable times is beyond me. If you give to any charity give to your local or National Hospice organization. They are angels on earth.

    All my prayers and love to you and your family

    Mom Rucker

    ReplyDelete
  3. I absolutely love the photo of you, Brian, and Grandma Corley! That's a keeper. :) I'll miss her too. Love you!

    ReplyDelete