Sunday, November 2, 2014

Trip to Traverse City

We went up to Traverse City for a Leadership Event for the synod. We hadn't been this far north in Michigan, so it was neat to see how different this area was than what it's like back home. We hit it at the perfect time. The colors on the trees were unbelievably amazing!





We stayed at the Grand Traverse Resort and Spa. It was a neat place!



Waiting to check in...






It had a spectacular view of the bay, which we got to drive by every day on the way to the host church. So pretty!

The hotel also had an awesome pool.





Ashleigh was so excited about this waterslide! She kept walking up the stairs, sitting at the top, and would then get back up. She didn't seem scared...just not ready to go down! Finally, Matt went up there with her, had her sit down, and then gently pushed her! She loved it! But she didn't want to do it again... :)

(I had no idea how scary it was! I finally went down it, and I about freaked out! Then again, I don't like enclosed spaces, but this slide was pitch black and water was spraying at you from every angle.)



The hotel had an upscale women's fashion store named Ashleigh's!!


The last night we were there, we went to a brewery called Rare Birds. Matt and I split a flight of their beers, and they were all amazing! They served a very limited menu but all the food is natural and organic. It was delicious! Toward the end of our time there, they had a singer perform, and her name was Miriam! How funny! She was entertaining, and the girls loved dancing around to her songs.
 




After the conference was over, we went out to explore the Traverse City area. 


First, we ate at East Bay Pizza and Moomers Ice Cream.







We also found Titus Ave!


We drove to Sleeping Bear Dunes National Lakeshore and took the scenic drive. Absolutely. Incredible. The girls were asleep for the first part, so Matt and I just enjoyed the quiet and seeing the amazing colors on the trees. This day could not have been more beautiful!








There's Lake Michigan!



Then we headed over to attempt to walk up the dunes. Holy moley, these are no SC dunes. These dunes were HUGE! This is not a flattering picture of me, but this is how steep the dune was... no lie!


At the top of the first dune (and we're done!)



Look carefully and you can see the road at the bottom between the trees.


Ashleigh "sliding" down the dunes.


Do you see those dots to the right? Those are people. This thing was huge, I tell you!





View from the bottom once we were back down. Whew.


Then we drove about 5 minutes up the road to get to a spot where we could get to Lake Michigan. It was cold and windy!


Matt bravely stuck his feet in the water. I don't think he'll make that mistake again!! 





Bye Traverse City! You're one gorgeous city!








No comments:

Post a Comment